Triple head?

Jason Ish ish at unx.ca
Tue Jan 18 15:33:09 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Thomas Cameron
<thomas.cameron at camerontech.com> wrote:

> Has anyone gotten three heads set up with Fedora?  I figure it will
> require the proprietary driver, and while that is not optimal, I'm
> willing to do it.  I really want to have three monitors set up.
>
> If so, how'd you do it?

I used to use 2 NVidia cards, each with dual DVI output.  I used
identical cards but I'm not sure if that matters.  As others have
mentioned, this can cause problems.  For one, compiz and friends don't
work. I also found that Java GUI applications load slower, and for
work I use a specific Java desktop application a lot.

I know use a single NVidia card.  One output goes to what I'd call my
primary monitor.  The other goes into a Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital
unit.  This makes my 2 other 24" monitors appear as one large
3840x1200.  This gives me my 3 24" monitors with full performance.
One hack I had to do was to put in a custom libxinerama library that
lies about screen configuration.  This makes applications think I have
3 identical monitors instead of just 2 so that maximize works properly
- so for all intensive purposes, while the driver only sees 2
monitors, the OS sees it as 3.

Jason