Fedora + BigBlueButton = win (multi conference chat, voice and video server for meetings/teachings)

valent.turkovic at gmail.com valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 20:34:26 UTC 2011

Hi Galls & Guys,

you should have a look at BigBlueButton as a multi conference and
video server for your meetings/teachings (http://bigbluebutton.org).

This is a great program, you can install it in a breeze, fully GPL
compliant and with a very active community.
Latest version has multi video conference with screen sharing, text
chat, slides control and  even shared whiteboard for annotations!

This is huge for remote teaching, and you don't need to subscribe to
any web page, nor pay anyone to use their server.
Maybe Fedora community can even help develop bbb further, a working
client that uses non-adobe gpl flash player would be sweet, for
example.

And no, I don't get paid by BigBlueButton at all    :P

You should also consider BigBlueButton (http://bigbluebutton.org) if
you want to host your own servers, and it's fully open source and
under a heavy development. There are scripts to install it very easily
in Redhat/CentOS and Ubuntu/Debian.

I first heard about bbb project on FLOSS Weekly podcast
(http://twit.tv/floss147)

Bu sure to check out their videos: http://bigbluebutton.org/content/videos

Should I post this email to Fedora board or some other mailing list
because I'm not sure that Fedora user mailing list is the right way
for this proposal.

Cheers,
Valent.

--