SELinux

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 20 09:41:15 UTC 2011

Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 04:11 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>> Not exactly a login, but sometimes necessary. Booting in single
>> user mode. It's effectively logged in as root, and sometimes
>> necessary for some system maintenance.
>
> Well, it is a login...  I should have been more explicit and talked
> about not doing graphical logins as root.  But you can still cause the
> same problems when logged in as root in a command line interface.

It doesn't run the "login" program, so it's not a login in that sense.
It has the same effect, and one can grandly screw things up as root.

I rarely log in as root, perhaps a few times a year for some
maintenance.  Normally, I use "su -". Occasionally I use "sudo".
Neither of those do I more than a few times a week.

The less priviledge I have, the better I like it.

I don't much use GUI, I use command line in an xterm window.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.