FC14 Installation Hangs

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Fri Jan 21 19:56:54 UTC 2011

     Type in 'waiting for hardware to initialize' into Google and you
get a lovely list of some 452,000 results.  I'm one of those.  I admit,
this is an older hardware (think 5-8 years) however at the same time, it
was running RH7.3 this whole time with no problems, and I'm able to put
a Windows OS on it still, again, with no problems.  So, why is it when I
try to load FC14 on it, it gets stuck at the 'waiting for hardware to
initialize' line?  I've tried all sorts of boot parameters with no
luck.  My latest iteration was:

     ide=nodma noapic acpi=off

     Still, no luck.  And while I DO get a response if I add 'noprobe',
that also leaves me with absolutely no drivers loaded, both for network
as well as what bus is on the motherboard.  While I can solve the
network one by simply loading the correct driver, I don't know what to
pick to load up the motherboard appropriate drivers so I can get the
IDE/PCI/Video and what not to work.

     I've tried
         FC14 netinst.iso
         FC14 DVD install
         FC14 LIVE DVD

     All gave me the same thing.

     So I jumped ship and tried CentOS.  Lo and behold, that works with
no problems!  Sooo, one wonders, why can't I install FC14?  Why does it
lock up?

     Moving forward, since the CentOS install disk boots up just fine
and I'm able to actually install it, is there something I can gleam from
this that might help in getting FC14 to work?  Particular drivers
perhaps?  Anything?