Is there a better Alternative to Thunderbird ?

Nataraj incoming-fedora-list at rjl.com
Fri Jan 21 22:59:59 UTC 2011

On 01/21/2011 02:25 PM, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 21Jan2011 17:08, Jim <binarynut at comcast.net> wrote:
> | Fedora 14 / KDE
> | Today my Thunderbird-3.1.7 crashed and sent all my 1500 emails to the
> | Trash Can. Thunderbird was taking so long to compact and other
> | things it had to do and locking up my desktop and Web Browser.
> | In Fedora is there a better email Browser ?
> | I tried Evolution but it just does not seem to work very good in Fedora 14.
>
> I use mutt for my email. It's text only, but plenty fast and flexible.
> And WAY better remotely. Happy to go into detail...

Over time, I've found that alot of software works very well for certain
configurations, but if you use some features or configure things too far
from the default, they don't seem to work at all.  It sounds like you
are using local folders.

I use thunderbird with a dovecot imap server with maybe 50-60 folders
and several years of messages in the fedora, centos, ubuntu, postfix
mailing lists and it is amazingly fast.  Instead of compacting all the
folders at once (file->compact folders), I've found that if you right
click the folder and compact only the current folder things work much
better.  I generally only need to manipulate 1 folder at a time.

 I believe thunderbird uses mbox format for local mail files, which is
not the fastest, i.e. all messages in a folder are stored in one file,
so it has to go through and rewrite the entire folder.

If you have alot of large folders turning off the mail indexing feature
will also speed things up alot.  I'm not sure if this affects compact
folders or not.

I haven't used evolution for several years, but it used to crash on me
all the time when I last used it.

Nataraj