Strange Copy/Paste behavior in KMail 1.13.5/Kontact 4.4.8

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Sat Jan 22 10:37:10 UTC 2011

Hello Everyone,
I'm still having this problem, and I wonder if someone could try the steps
described below to see if they have the problem as well...

I am using KMail 1.13.5 from within Kontact 4.4.8.  Also, I am running Fedora 13
and KDE 4.5.4.  All of this is fully updated.

I don't know when this problem started, but when I copy something like this from
any email in KMail:
No.  Why do you need the "full-install" DVD?

and paste it into any text editor, it comes out like this:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "DTD/xhtml1-
strict.dtd">

If I want to copy and paste a tracking number for an item that I purchased
online, it looks like this when I paste it:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "DTD/xhtml1-
strict.dtd">

In the above example, this is the procedure I followed:
1. Using my mouse, I select "9101128882300487354725" in the desired email.
2. Right click the mouse, and then select "Copy"
3. Then, I either do "Ctrl V" or "Right Click | Paste"
4. The result is always the same.  I get the text that I selected, plus a whole
lot HTML markup...

I have KMail set to compose and send emails in text only.

In my experiments so far, this only occurs when I copy FROM KMail.  If I copy
from any other application, and paste INTO KMail, it pastes correctly.  Also,
when I select and then copy "9101128882300487354725" FROM KMAIL, and then check
my clipboard, it shows up in the undesired format:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "DTD/xhtml1-
strict.dtd">

As far as I know, I didn't change anything to cause this problem to occur.  I do
know that up until a few weeks ago, on this same system, if (from within KMail)
I selected and copied something like "9101128882300487354725" and then pasted
the result into any application, I would get this:
"9101128882300487354725"

That is how it has always worked for me, and that is NOT how it's working for me
now :(

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Steven P. Ulrick