Fwd: Re: [Fedora] Re: FC14 Installation Hangs

Rick Sewill rsewill at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 19:38:35 UTC 2011

On Saturday, January 22, 2011 01:14:40 pm Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> On 1/22/2011 12:03 PM, JB wrote:
> > Kernel command line:
> > always keep -->  ignore_loglevel
> > add -->   enforcing=0
>
>      The only major difference this time is that it's also detecting the
> additional drives that are on the add-on card.  Previously it wasn't,
> but now I can see them after it says 'waiting for hardware to
> initialize...'.  It's going through ata1.00, ata1.01, ata3.00, and
> ata3.01 - which accounts for the four hard drives, and then it lists the
> CD-ROM.  But it still dies at the same exact spot after detecting the
> CD-ROM ...
>
>      For the record, I previously tried without the add-on card plugged
> in and it too went nowhere.  So there is something either with the
> CD-ROM or just after it that causing it to hang.  And when I say hang,
> I'm talking complete lock up.  NUM key doesn't do anything, the machine
> is a brick.  Only recovery is to hold the power button till it shuts off.
>
>      By the way, when booting CentOS, it also displays that 'waiting for
> hardware to initialize...' however it sits there for a mere 5 seconds
> then moves on and boots normally.

I looked at URL, http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems,
for hints.  It has a suggestion, under "Crashes/Hangs",
"# initcall_debug will allow to see the last thing the kernel tried to
initialise before it hung."
I have the impression, from what is said, the kernel is hanging trying to
initialize something.  Perhaps this parameter will help give us a hint.