native texlive and yum

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 13:07:10 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Walter Cazzola <cazzola at dico.unimi.it> wrote:
> That has been a great idea except for a couple of issues on some
> *nonrelated" packages. To remove texlive yum forced the remotion of a2ps
> and R-core (and few other but these are the most important for me) and I
> can't reinstall them without reinstalling texlive (at least in part).

Although it might seem so, but they might not be entirely independent.

> Now I've already installed texlive but not through yum and I'm wondering
> why the rpm for these packages not really related to LaTeX and in
> any case working also without LaTeX can't check for the bins instead of
> the whole package.

That is how rpm (or any other package manager works). Checking for
binaries can be ambiguous as some package might not place the binaries
in the path the package manager might check.

> Is there a way for forcing their installation without installing
> texlive?

If you don't mind the disk space taken by the rpm version of texlive,
you can solve the problem with setting your environment variables
appropriately. This is how I get around this issue:

######################
# Setup TeXLive 2009 #
######################

function texlive_setup()
{
    export TLHOME=/opt/texlive2009
    export PATH=$TLHOME/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH
    export MANPATH=$TLHOME/texmf/doc/man:$MANPATH
    export INFOPATH=$TLHOME/texmf/doc/info:$INFOPATH
}

Hope this helps

--
Suvayu