Finding programs (was: SELinux)

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 21:23:24 UTC 2011

> It's not hard to find PDF readers.  All you have to do is a yum search
> using pdf as the keyword, either a command line or GUI yum tool, and it
> lists things related to PDF files.

I'm not sure how new users are supposed to find evince.  Yum isn't a
command that newbies are likely to be familiar with.  Old-timers from
the BSD world might try "man -k pdf" but that doesn't find evnice
either.  Even on fedora-14 I can't seem to find it on the pull-down
menus.  Looking at the likely bin directories for things with pdf in
their name isn't going to be fruitful in evince's case.

The way I found it back when I started using a linux distribution (back
in fc4 days) was to let firefox open up a pdf file, spawn the reader and
then I opened a shell window and did a PS to see what the viewer was
called.  I recall having to do that a number of times because the name
evince, just doesn't remind me of PDF.  I can't expect a newbie to do
that either.

The unhelpful program names combined with 3 or more non-overlapping
documentation systems (man, info, help), don't make things any easier.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht      http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/      (IPv6-only)