[Fedora] Re: FC14 Installation Hangs

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Jan 26 16:13:13 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, January 25, 2011 06:43:27 pm JB wrote:
> Thirdly, stick around the thread for many days (even weeks) - there is
> a good chance somebody will have time (like Lamar next week) and come up
> with a good idea.

Given what I've seen of Ashley's symptoms, it may be more BIOS related than chipset related, and I think the only OSB4 chipset board with a PC-style BIOS I have is the FORCE CPCI one; I checked my other boxen that are currently running, and the only other ServerWorks board I have up right now is a Dell 1600SC server, and it's an OSB5.

I think I have four boxen with dual PIII's that probably have OSB4's, but they are oddballs that boot into Sun-style OpenPROM x86 (Network Appliance NetCaches; would love to get a Linux on them, but, AFAIK (and I'd love to be shown that I'm wrong), only the SPARC Linux distributions can boot from OpenPROM (used on virtually all Sun SPARC boxen) and don't have a PC-style BIOS).  And even then if it's a BIOS issue that won't help any.

As the ancient troubleshooting axiom goes 'to fix a problem you must find the problem.'