LibreOffice on Fedora

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Jan 26 19:30:48 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 16:14:22 -0300,
  Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Packages are in the repository because someone is volunteering to
> > maintain them.  No because of any voting.
>
> So if someone from Oracle choose to build and maintain it for Fedora
> and cleared any trademark issues, it would be okay?.
>
> Isn´t "Firefox" also trademaked by Mozilla Inc.? Am I missing something?

Oracle doesn't own the trademark to openoffice in Brazil. So we are unlikely
to prefer openoffice to libreoffice on any of the official media and
we aren't going to put both on the same media given their size. (That is
why we had a special broffice spin through F14.)

A maintainer wouldn't have to be from Oracle, anyone could do it. They'd
still have to leave out the stuff that had patent issues. Size may be an
issue because these packages are so large (are almost the same thing). I doubt
that would block it, but it might be a consideration.