Finding programs

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Jan 26 21:47:21 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, January 26, 2011 03:46:54 pm Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> The fact is that not only is the evince name non-decriptive, but the man
> -k short description likewise has no mention of "pdf" so it won't be
> found as a pdf viewer either.

And that is a fault of upstream GNOME, not Fedora.  The man page for evince should include meaningful (to apropos) keywords; fact of the matter is that the string 'PDF' does occur in the DESCRIPTION section of the man page, so why is apropos not seeing that?

Using man -K PDF finds evince (among many others), but that's not just a quick list.

But, as this is upstream GNOME doing this, you really should take it to upstream GNOME for change, which will then help out all GNOME using distributions, including Ubuntu, et al.

Debian and Ubuntu also have the GNOME Document Reader named 'evince'.  So this is not Fedora-unique, nor did it originate with Fedora.  Do man -k PDF on a Ubuntu box and see what comes up. (I just did this; evince does not come up in a man -k pdf or a man -k PDF).