LibreOffice on Fedora

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 22:04:53 UTC 2011

On 01/27/2011 03:22 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Well, since there are many more folks working in LO than on OOo, I'm
> wondering if the code is now flowing the other way?  Possibly w/o their
> (LO's) knowledge.

That isn't a likely scenarios for several different reasons.  One of the
primary catalysts for the fork is that Oracle insists on contributors
signing a copyright license agreement that grants rights to Oracle to
sell a proprietary version of Openoffice.org.  They wouldn't want to use
code from LibreOffice.  As both codebases are visible, it is not
possible that LibreOffice developers would be unaware if there was a
flow in the other direction.  Also,  Openoffice.org probably has a
higher count of full time developers.    Libreoffice however has the
strategic advantage because LibreOffice can continue to inherit code
from Openoffice but not the other way around because of Oracle's policies.

Rahul