LibreOffice on Fedora

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 22:23:12 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, since there are many more folks working in LO than on OOo, I'm
> wondering if the code is now flowing the other way?  Possibly w/o their
> (LO's) knowledge.

I don´t think this is accurate. Two thirds of the former Sun
developers continue working at Oracle, on OpenOffice.org. This is part
of the "exodus towards LibreOffice" myth, that, given quoted figures,
included only ~30 people. But it serves well the agenda of those
wanting to villify Oracle.

A good PR move to create a self-fulfilling prophecy, though.

I have already explained in this list why I personally don´t want to
have anything to do with Novell´s Go-OO and its latest new
incarnation, LibreOffice. (Because, for those that don´t remember, let
me remind you that the first "fork" was Novell´s Go-OO).

It was clear at some point that Sun wasn´t interested in promoting
OO-XML, and that´s why Novell created Go-OO.

I also suspect Novell was likely one of the forces behind the scenes
brewing dissent and the fork in OO.o... basically to steal the
project´s steering from Oracle, all in the name of "community" and
"freedom", of course.  As if Novell or RedHat were the Salvation Army
and only Oracle is a for-profit corporation.

I don´t  care if I´m the only one, but that´s what I think.

Just my $0.02
FC
PS: Sun created a copyrighted version, StarOffice, for years, and I
don´t remember anybody running around like chickens without heads.