rescue mode

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 04:25:19 UTC 2011

Gabriel Ramirez wrote:

> maybe http://boot.fedoraproject.org/index can be useful

Thank you. I had downloaded it about a year ago when I first heard about it,
but never tried it. I decided to get a new version, in case it changed, and
burnt it to disk. It must have taken 15-20 minutes for it to load and
download the image and whatever it needs, despite a high-speed internet
connection, but it works like a charm. It is good to know that I feel
comfortable with BFO as a failsafe.

Unfortunately, Windows refused to repair the installed system and a blue
screen appeared telling me to remove the new hardware and try again. How
stupid. I cannot remove the motherboard! I guess if I want Windows, I will
have to wipe that partition and reinstall it, which is exactly what I had
hoped never to need to do again when I installed it to that partition in the
first place. Then, despite not being able to repair itself, Windows changed
the system clock from UTC to local time, so fedora needed to do a complete
relabelling before I could finally boot up again. Man alive! Fortunately, I
do have a working version of Windows installed to a qemu image file, so I can
still access some of those pesky services that refuse to work without Windows
(Adobe Digital Editions, Overdrive DRM-encumbered audiobooks, Mobibook
reader, etc. -- stuff from the public library that I need to access).

Thanks for all of the suggestions. My system is intact and Windows is still
broken, but after a year of it being broken, I guess I don't need it anyhow.