tigervnc

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Sat Jan 29 15:37:50 UTC 2011

I have tigervnc server installed on a fedora 14 box, and when I use the
Windows tigervnc client it is terribly slow.

Normally, I use the ultravnc windows client which is very fast, however when
I use it to connect to the tigervnc server, there is a long pause with a
black screen before the unlock popup comes up.

I think this is happening because the client and server are negotiating
which encoding to use. But I might be completely wrong.

After I log in, everything is fine - screen updates are fast and it works as
it should. But if I let it idle, the screen blacks out again and the long
pause occurs before the login prompt.

Does anyone know how to prevent the long pause, or even better, where I can
find vnc4server (Xvnc4) for fedora? Does it exist in some repo somewhere?

Vnc4server is very fast and doesn't have these pause issues.

Thanks for any help...