OpenOffice Writer

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Sun Jan 30 09:42:34 UTC 2011

On 30/01/2011 01:29 πμ, JB wrote:

< snip >

>  Now with regard to OpenOffice. I would suggest that you reinstall
>  Writer: # yum reinstall openoffice.org-writer
>
>  If that does not help, reinstall all your OO packages: # yum
>  reinstall openoffice.org-*
>
>  Tell us how you start your OO Writer when you get the error ?

In any way i try to run it . For  example if i download a document through
firefox and then ask it to open the file then Writer will crash . Mainly
i would
be worried about the fact that when i do the following Writer crashes

I start by pressing the f  ( on the lower left corner  ( yes by the way
it is the KDE desktop ) ) then i move on to the Applications tab then
to Office then to OpenOffice.org and finally to Writer .
>What desktop are you on: GNOME, KDE, etc ?

Am using KDE ( perhaps this will be of assistance
kdebase-4.5.5-1.fc14.x86_64 )

- from the menu ?

Yes from the menu .

>  If so, what is in that menu's launcher ?

Yes

Applications - Office - OpenOffice.org Writer

That´s the path .

>right click your mouse on OpenOffice.org Writer and select
>  "Add this launcher to panel"

A small problem here . I don´t get the option add this launcher to
panel but just "Add to Panel" assuming that was the intended option.

>Then on the panel right click on the OO Writer icon, click properties

A small problem here , i don´t have any properties option so am
assuming "Icon Settings"

>and tell us what is in Launcher Properties. - from the panel ?

The command that get´s executed is

openoffice.org -writer %U ( from the Panel )

check properties as above - from the command line ?

am not sure how do i do that .

>  Just to make sure that you do not have any OO executable leftovers.

>  Please show us the output: $ ps aux |grep -i office

Writer fired up normally ( from the panel ) and i got

[root at Orion ~]# ps aux |grep -i office
root      3453  0.0  0.0 106204  1380 ?        S    11:08   0:00 /bin/sh
/usr/lib64/openoffice.org3/program/soffice -quickstart -nologo -nodefault
root      3484  0.1  2.6 1034528 102248 ?      Sl   11:08   0:02
/usr/lib64/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin -quickstart -nologo
-nodefault
root      5917  0.0  0.0 103420   852 pts/1    S+   11:34   0:00 grep
--color=auto -i office

The bogus thing here is that for some reason today for example i can use
Writer , tomorrow after some updates
i can´t and then again after some more updates i will probably be able
to use Writer again .  Now Writer seems
to be working normally .

On a sidenote here , although it is quite irrelevant i have to add that
i did an

"rpmdb --rebuild" last night after your last email since i was under the
impression that something wasn´t going all that
well with the rpm database .

Anyway could u please remind me the command in order to see the last
updates ?