Minimal Kernel Config for a F14 KVM guest

Dave Quigley selinux at davequigley.com
Fri Jul 1 03:12:13 UTC 2011

Hello,
    I will be teaching a one day class in a few weeks and I am going to
have the students do some kernel programming. Since it is only a one day
course I need to pack as much info into it as possible so I would like
to minimize the build times as much as possible. The modifications that
they will be making will be touching core kernel headers so it will have
to rebuild almost all of the kernel every time. Because of this I'd like
to get a kernel config that can get F14 booting (the minimal install) in
KVM with the shortest build time possible. I've gotten the build down to
9 minutes and 55 seconds but I would like it sub 5 minutes. Does anyone
have or know of a place where I can find a bare minimum config. I've
been working on trimming down the stock F14 kernel but there is so much
to go through I'm thinking it might be best to build it up from an
allnoconfig instead.

Dave