problem wth sort utility?

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Fri Jul 1 10:08:17 UTC 2011

On 1 Jul 2011 at 11:50, Roberto Ragusa wrote:

Date sent:      	Fri, 01 Jul 2011 11:50:39 +0200
From:           	Roberto Ragusa <mail at robertoragusa.it>
To:             	Community support for Fedora users
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
Subject:        	Re: problem wth sort utility?
Send reply to:  	Community support for Fedora users
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
	<mailto:users-
request at lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=unsubscribe>
	<mailto:users-
request at lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=subscribe>

> On 07/01/2011 09:00 AM, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > I'm getting results that I don't expect and different from busybox
> > sort?
>
> The busybox sorting is more simple (and more correct, to your eyes).
>
> Try with:
>
> LC_COLLATE=C sort a >b
>
> or
>
> LC_ALL=C sort a >b
>
> to disable the linguistic "smart" sorting which tries to address
> capital letters, spaces, accented letters and so on in ways which
> are sometimes welcome and other times surprising.
>
> If you want the raw sorting (as by C language's strcmp()) you have
> to use the LC_COLLATE=C or LC_ALL=C env var.

Thanks. I looked thru the man sort, but didn't find a switch that I
would expect to change this.

The command I use that no works is
fsarchiver probe 2>&1 | LC_ALL=C sort

What makes this not the default?

I do other filtering to extract subsets and reformat data so it works
with a dialog radio button screen to select the info.

> --
>    Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it
> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI        10944149.476033   |   EINSTEIN     6108721.330851
ROSETTA      3318509.748210   |   ABC          6642219.200443