Fedora Security and the Uverse 3800HGV-B router

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 21:20:12 UTC 2011

On 07/02/2011 10:21 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Saturday 02 July 2011 17:10:33 JD wrote:
>>> Isn't the page just redirecting to file://<ip>/ ?
>>>
>>> You can do the same by typing that into the address bar  your browser.
>>> If your local ip is<ip>   (which is the same as file:/// ) you will be
>>> able to traverse your root, but no other IP can.
>> I tried it. The browser cannot browse to my ip address
>> for the simple reason I do not have apache httpd running.
>> Read my subsequent posts on this.
> You do not need an apache server to see your own files from the browser. I just
> typed
>
>    file://127.0.0.1/
>
> into firefox and the files in the root directory appeared no problem. A web
> browser is supposed to be able to access your files, in the same way you are
> able to do it from the shell prompt.
>
> Can your router display the files of some other computer connected to it? Or
> did you try that just with the one you were sitting at?
>
> Have you tried browsing through some user's home directory (other than your
> own)? Could you read any of those files?
>
> I don't think there is any security hole there, it's just your own browser
> playing tricks on you. Care to provide the html source code for the router's
> page that has a link to view the files? The source should tell us how it's
> being done.
>
> HTH, :-)
> Marko

The router does not display any files when I try it on other computers.
They are windows coputers (win7 and winxp) - not sure why it does not
display
windows' c:\ contents.

On my machine, when I disable javascript, it is unable to display my files.
I understand that the browser is supposed to be able to display your files
with the file:/// URL.
I just was not expecting my router to issue a javascript to
to access my files. And my concern is that any web site can issue a
javascript to access personal files; and most people are unaware of this,
because they are not techies, and do not understand what javascripts
are capable of doing.