Fedora Security and the Uverse 3800HGV-B router

Sam Sharpe lists.redhat at samsharpe.net
Sat Jul 2 21:42:23 UTC 2011

On 2 July 2011 22:20, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On my machine, when I disable javascript, it is unable to display my files.
> I understand that the browser is supposed to be able to display your files
> with the file:/// URL.
> I just was not expecting my router to issue a javascript to
> to access my files. And my concern is that any web site can issue a
> javascript to access personal files; and most people are unaware of this,
> because they are not techies, and do not understand what javascripts
> are capable of doing.

I don't think you understand. Your browser can access your local
files. It is doing so via a file:/// URL. This is not a problem with
javascript, this is a feature of your browser. To check this, please
type in "file:///" into your browsers address bar manually and you
will see that there is no difference in the behaviour. I repeat, this
is not a javascript problem and you are getting hysterical over
nothing.

It is not a security risk because it is showing you the files you have
access to on your machine. Javascript has absolutely nothing to do
with it apart from sending *you* to the URL.

--
Sam