Fedora Security and the Uverse 3800HGV-B router

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jul 3 01:48:56 UTC 2011

JD writes:

> You missed the import of what I was saying...
> that a javascript pushed by a website,
> forced on my browser to execute on my machine
> is in and of itself a violation of privacy and security.

Ok, understood.

In Firefox, there's a setting to disable Javascript. Switch it off. Problem
solved. No web site will be able to execute Javascript on your browser.
That's what Javascript is: a script originating from a remote web site, that
your browser executes.

If you believe that it's a problem you can switch it off very easily.

> Furthermore, it would be incredibly shortsighted
> (stating it mildly) to write off such practice as safe
> by any measure.

That's a matter of opinion. You're entitled to it. However, if others
disagree with you, and they have no issues with running Javascript code from
remote web sites, they're just as entitled to their opinion as you are.

And the nice thing about Firefox, and most other browsers, is that everyone
is satisfied. Those that do not wish to run Javascript from remote web
sites, they can do it very easily. Those that do not see a problem with it,
will keep Javascript enabled.

> I sent a reply to Ed. Read that one.

I've read what you wrote. Now, why don't you just solve your problem turn
off Javascript in Firefox, and move on with your life.