Apps Virtualization with OpenSource?

Sam Sharpe lists.redhat at samsharpe.net
Sun Jul 3 14:39:13 UTC 2011

On 3 July 2011 13:57, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 03, 2011 at 03:25:39 -0500,
>  Manuel Escudero <Jmlevick at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As maybe I can't run a VM in all the computers that I might have access to
>> and because Wine Can't Emulate some programs correctly, I Know the solution
>> is using the cloud to carry my apps with me, I was wondering if there is a
>> Free Service
>
>> (Better if it's opensource) to run my Windows apps from the server
>> in my Linux Machines or if I can mount a server with free/opensource
>> technologies that give me that option.
>
>> is it possible? What should I use?
>
> Have you taken a look at openshift (https://openshift.redhat.com/app/)?

How exactly does that help? Running Windows is not one of the features
of Red Hat's PaaS offering.

To answer the OP's question, there is unlikely to be a free service
that allows you to run Windows Apps in the Cloud, because they would
have to pay Microsoft for the Windows licencing fees.

There are many companies that will rent/sell you a Windows virtual
machine, to which you could connect via Remote Desktop from Linux
(tsclient/rdesktop will do it) and you could install your applications
there - but checking my own employer's prices, it looks like that
would cost you about $60 per month - mostly because they don't offer
Windows 7 or XP - only Server 2008.

Of course you could reduce that cost by not running it permanently (as
they are usually billed hourly for the time the machine is running),
but it's still going to cost money.

--
Sam