HD permissions stay put

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Jul 3 18:10:38 UTC 2011

On 07/03/2011 08:49 AM, Johan Scheepers wrote:
> Now booting in a different flavor the permissions change to numbers.
>
> My normal permission is johan johan. I am the only user at home.

I think you're slightly confused here.  What's changing isn't the
permissions but the way the system reports the owner of the files.  The
system tracks that by the numeric userid and converts that to a name
when displaying the information, because that's easier for humans to
understand.  Different distros start numbering normal users at different
places and if your various installations use different numbering,
they're going to think that files created in a different distro were
created by a user they have no record of, so they can't display a name,
only a number.  Using chown to change this will work, but as soon as you
to do it again.  It's possible to set things so that your user has the
same numeric userid in all of your installations, and if you do that,
you'll have what you want.