HD permissions stay put

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 3 18:15:52 UTC 2011

On 07/03/2011 03:49 PM, Johan Scheepers wrote:
<>

> Now as root  I change the owner and group -R.
> This is annoying . Is there a way to make it stick please.

in addition to tim's post;

actually, it is _file_ and _directory_ permissions, not hd permissions.

linux has a file '/etc/login.defs, to define *site-specific* configurations.

run;

   man login.defs
 or
   info login.defs

for further information.

in 'login.defs' file, you will fine 4 definitions; "UID_MIN", "UID_MAX",
and, "GID_MIN", "GID_MAX", as per man/info.

fedora and red hat use '500' for uid and gid minimum value, and, obviously,
ubuntu uses a different value.

to maintain assignment compatability between 'flavors', *all* "flavors"
need to have same values in 'login.defs', which i would suggest setting
to '500', as most "flavors" start with '500'.

as root user with each non fedora or red hat "flavor";

cd to '/etc' directory and backup and edit 'login.defs' to new minimum
value of '500'.

next, backup and edit files 'group' and 'passwd', changing old gid and uid
to new value for "user".

cd to '/home' and issue command;

   chown -R usrname:usrname usrname-directory

because you will probably have files elsewhere, use command;

   find / -user old-user-id -print | xargs -0 /bin/chown new-id:new-id

this can takes some time, so if you know you have no files other than
under '/home', change above to;

   find /home -user old-user-id -print | xargs -0 /bin/chown new-id:new-id

examples for above commands;

   chown -R johans:johans johans
 or
   find / -user 1000 -print | xargs -0 /bin/chown johans:johans
 or
   find /home -user 1000 -print | xargs -0 /bin/chown johans:johans

before using any of above, first read 'man' or 'info' for commands;

  login.defs, chown, find, xargs

to be sure you understand what will happen.

hth.
--

peace out.

tc.hago,