HD permissions stay put

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 21:26:28 UTC 2011

JD wrote:

>> Machine one..johan 1000:1000
>> Machine two ..johan 500:500

This is the problem I had with Debian and friends.

Fedora starts users at 500, while Debian&c uses 1000. So, if you use the same
username on both, you now have the same user with both 500 and 1000 uid. When
you log back into fedora (at least that is what happened to me), my stuff is
now changed to user 500, or was it 501. It was a real mess! And the problem
with Debian systems is that I could not find a way to get users to start at
500, so as to be the same as Fedora. It was a mess, so I decided no longer to
mount user data to non-Fodora systems.