/.autofsck continually updated every reboot

Sam Sharpe lists.redhat at samsharpe.net
Sun Jul 3 22:09:00 UTC 2011

On 3 July 2011 23:03, jackson byers <byersjab at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sam Sharpe wrote
>
>>The /.autofsck file is created by the system automatically at boot time
>>by the /etc/rc.sysinit script by simply touching the file. It has no
>>content. The logic behind it is, that if the host went down not properly
>>(i.e. power loss) the /etc/rc.sysinit script will find this .autofsck
>>file at next boot time and the system can act with a default scenario or
>>like configured within the file /etc/sysconfig/autofsck. If the hosts
>>shuts down or reboots properly, then the .autofsck file will be erased
>>by the /etc/init.d/halt script and no automatic filesystem check will
>>happen next boot. I think this answers the 3 questions by Ralf. The file
>>is generated by /etc/rc.sysinit, used by the system to know about no
>>proper shutdowns and you should leave the file as it is. There is not
>
>>any need to delete it.
>
> I had already seen this. Nothing in there is consistent with my case.
>
> My reboots look normal, so system should erase ./autofsck, but it doesnt.
>
> There is no fsck activity during the boot at least none I can see.

I think you misunderstand then.

The file is created at startup and removed during normal shutdown.
*If* the system incurs an abnormal shutdown or crash, then the file
would not be deleted.

If the file is detected at startup, _then_ the system will perform an
fsck. So it is normal for this file to exist while the system is
running normally. If you really want to test this, shut down your
system normally and then boot it from a livecd - I suspect if you
examine the root filesystem, you will find that the .autofsck file has
been deleted.

--
Sam