HD permissions stay put

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 06:11:36 UTC 2011

夜神 岩男 wrote:

>> This is well put :-) I believe you meant to say that you always choose
>> UIDs/GIDs >= 1000.
>
> Indeed I did... that sort of typo is the kind that leaves a sleepy coder
> scratching his head sometimes ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ
>
> I'm glad you got the idea anyway. I've found this to be a simple
> solution for tiny environments.
>
> On the other hand, once you get a bunch of users, learning how to
> administer directory and authentication services is an enormous step
> forward (of course, it is also an enormous amount to learn at first, too
> -- but just the first time).

Thanks for explaining it. I knew that changing the UID:GID to 1000 would have
been sufficient, but I was not sure whether that would cause a need for
further adjustments or not. And, since Fedora is my 'working' system, I
really didn't want to dig any deep pits there. It is good to know that it is
really that easy. Perhaps I will give some other distros a more serious try
once in a while (but I do like Fedora, and have been with this distro for
11-12 years now, so I am not really into relearning all the /etc file
locations, repos, installation stuff, etc.).