HD permissions stay put

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jul 4 09:35:45 UTC 2011

Petrus de Calguarium:
>> It was a real mess! And the problem with Debian systems is that I could not
>> find a way to get users to start at 500, so as to be the same as Fedora.

g:
> check for file '/etc/login.defs'.
>
> if not present as 'login.defs', you might find it in '/etc' by running;
>
>    grep -i uid *
>
>    grep -i gid *

If you're going to change defaults, for where user IDs start from.  You
want to move Fedora's up to start at 1000, not Debian's down to start
from 500.  Because each distro considers user IDs below their threshold
to be system/application IDs, and treats them differently.  You don't
want to assign a user ID to a number that the OS thinks belongs to a
system ID.  It's not the same thing as inappropriately running as the
root user, but it's the same kind of operating mistake.  For
multi-system compatibility, you're best to treat user and group IDs of
500 to 999 as no-mans land, and leave them unused.

Of course, if you feel like further system surgery, you could change the
threshold that the system thinks is the separation between system and
group IDs, *as* *well* *as* changing the lowest number the user-add
functions will start counting from.  They're two different things.  But
it's easier to just start users out from user and group ID 1000+.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.