Installing F15 without any active network?

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 13:29:29 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 14:13 +0100, mike cloaked wrote:
>> I have been installing f15 on several machines without any issue - but
>> today I was asked to help someone install f15 on a machine which
>> currently does not have a network connection (all previous installs
>> were on machines with an active network connection).
>>
>> I may be a complete idiot but I could not for the life of me fathom
>> out how to get the install to complete in this situation - it pops up
>> a request to define the network a few steps into the install, and then
>> will simply not proceed saying that some parts of the install require
>> a network connection - clicking cancel then only gave the option of
>> quitting the install altogether!
>>
>> Have I missed something obvious?
>
> Yes, you've omitted to say how you're doing the install. Without knowing
> that, no-one can tell you what to do other than guessing.

Ahh!  It was from a physical DVD - with the DVD install iso - nothing
fancy - just a straightforward install as I have been doing since FC1
days - this is the first time I have come across any problem doing a
standalone clean install from a DVD disk - it looks like it may be
trying to activate updates when I was only after a basic install from
the DVD (reason is that I was trying to install ahead of the network
people amending the local LAN database to include the NIC MAC in the
next few days - so until that is done there will be no network access
or IP address assigned from DHCP - but getting the install done should
have been a time saver in the meantime)

Thanks

--
mike c