Name resolution

Marcos Ortiz mlortiz at uci.cu
Mon Jul 4 15:22:49 UTC 2011

Regards, Eric
Are you using a proxy for Internet connection? Because, this kind of
issues I've seen on it.

1- I think that you have to check your /etc/resolv.conf which are the
entries that you have there.

2- The second advice that I give you is to analyze your network
connection (rates, bandwidth, etc). You can use
tcpdump
- sar(included on the systat package
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/sebastien.godard/) for all kind of statistics.
For the network stats, you can use sar -n DEV | more

- netstat: only focused on the network statistics
   a example: netstat --statistics --raw

- traceroute: this is very useful for tracking down the cause
of disappearing packages
   a example: traceroute host_name

3- You have to check the /etc/nsswitch.conf, which is the main
responsible of the name resolution in Solaris and Linux. You will
check too the nscd daemon

I hope that's can help you

--
Marcos Luís Ortíz Valmaseda