GRUB problem

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 15:49:06 UTC 2011

Bruno Martins - GALILEU LISBOA wrote:

> I'm having problems with booting Fedora 14 X64 after I clone the hard disk
> with Clonezilla.
>
> Disk imaging goes nices until it reaches the end, when it tries to
> reinstall GRUB on the target hard disk. It hangs, but I can boot that disk
> one time. Once the machine is restarted, I lose the boot loader.
>
> Tried to repair it through Fedora Live CD following this guide -
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=845741 -, but it hangs on "GRUB

If you are cloning, then that means you must now have 2 partitions with
Fedora 14. Since you cloned, it might not be easy to tell which system you
are now running, the original or the clone.

You can only have one grub installed. Since you can boot "one time" then grub
must already be installed. Otherwise, how do you manage to boot?

Reinstall grub, just to make sure it is in the right place. I find it best to
have grub on the MBR of the *first hard drive* eg., on /dev/sda (not on
/dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb or whatever).

To install grub, as root and from the command line (not from the grub shell,
like the ubuntu formum says--that is another way, but doesn't always 'take'.
I had a problem with that once, too). Boot into your *main* operating system
and run:

grub-install /dev/sda

Then, boot into the main system and edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to add menu
entries for the various partitions that have operating systems. Editing
grub.conf on other systems will not change anything. It must be the grub.conf
on the system you ran the grub-install command on.

If Windows or some other program overwrites the MBR, don't worry. Just
reinstall grub from your main system:

grub-install /dev/sda

> Any ideas on why is this happening?

Not at all.