Name resolution

Eric Tanguy eric.tanguy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 16:56:09 UTC 2011

Le 04/07/2011 16:29, Patrick O'Callaghan a écrit :
> On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 16:26 +0200, Eric Tanguy wrote:
>> Since few days now i have a name resolution problem. For example when i
>> entrer a new address in firefox it returns that the name can't be
>> resolved. Reloading the page and firefox display fine the page. I have
>> the same problem from thunderbird or cli using yum.
>> The network is up using network manager with ethernet and dhcp. The name
>> server is the box ip. This configuration is the same as other pc on the
>> same network and these pc don't have any problem so i think the problem
>> is specific to this f15 machine but i don't how to investigate.
>> Any help ?
> What do you mean by "the name server is the box ip"? Do you mean your
> router's IP or the computer's own IP? If the latter, then unless you're
> running bind on your local machine that's your problem.
>
> Check the real situation thus:
>
> $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
>
> That will tell you what your name servers are. Make sure they exist and
> are actually resolving names, e.g. if /etc/resolv.com contains:
>
> nameserver 1.2 3.4
>
> then try:
>
> $ dig @1.2.3.4 mit.edu
>
> Do the same on your other machines. Are they all using the same
> nameserver?
>
> poc

Yes i mean my router's ip.

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
domain home
search home
nameserver 192.168.1.1

$ dig @1.2.3.4 mit.edu

; <<>> DiG 9.8.0-P2-RedHat-9.8.0-5.P2.fc15 <<>> @1.2.3.4 mit.edu
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd

Difficult to compare with other computers because they are under winxp ...

it seems that the problem is mainly after return from hibernate but i'm
not sure ...

An example : i

Eric