HD permissions stay put

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jul 5 08:18:55 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 21:20 -0700, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> I remember getting burned by different passwds for same user back in
> the 1980's ... can't remember the specifics. Though I am certain
> things have gotten much better in dealing with networks and protocols,
> I thought there was still some reason why passwd should be the same?

Perhaps with Samba shares, and automatic reconnections since last
accessing them?

But I can't think of anything that requires passwords be the same on
each, or even for any way for the other side to be able to tell that
you've used the same password as it has stored.  Generally, it's can you
logon or not, however that's achieved.

There's the simplicity of only having to remember one password, versus
the handing someone else your logon credentials on a plate to go hacking
you everywhere...

Windows SMB used to be a great one for that.  Try to connect to a shared
resource that requires a password, or simply discover a new one that's
been shared to your LAN, and Windows would helpfully send your username
and password to see if they'd do.  Way back in the olden days of
Win95/98, they'd often be sent in plain text.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.