Name resolution

夜神 岩男 supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp
Tue Jul 5 11:45:13 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 06:34 -0400, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Tue July 5 2011, Tim wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 12:52 -0400, John Aldrich wrote:
> > > might I suggest trying Google Public DNS servers? 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4
> > > are the IP addresses. My ISP apparently runs some sort of filtering
> > > and occasionally I have problems with their DNS, so I switched to
> > > Google and that pretty much resolves the issue for me. :D
> >
> > I run my own DNS server, for a similar reason:  Every ISP I've tried has
> > a crappy DNS server.  Before I did that, I had to put some domain's IP
> > into my hosts file, because their DNS server usually gave no answer.
> >
> yeah... I just can't be bothered to set up BIND. That's what things like
> Google Public DNS is for. :D

No, the purpose of Google Public DNS is to give Google insight into
every network query you make. Your filterbubble is heavily influenced by
your history record in Google's DNS system if you have dodged the other
ways of tracking. This sort of profiling goes further than syndicate
cookies and trackers ever could -- and is a brilliant, if somewhat
seductively evil, idea; so long as it is being used on someone other
than me.

http://dontbubble.us/

Avoiding Google entirely has brought a great deal of standardization and
rationality back to my organization -- that we didn't realize was
beginning to get shaky until just recently. Such an insidious thing,
filtered and tracked search.

-Iwao