Cannot recompile grub - checking whether the C compiler works... no

Joshua C. joshuacov at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 5 17:08:57 UTC 2011

2011/7/5 Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat.com>:
> On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 11:41:41PM +0200, Joshua C. wrote:
>> 2011/6/12 Joshua C. <joshuacov at googlemail.com>:
>> > As the subject says I cannot recompile grub. Everytime I get "checking
>> > whether the C compiler works... no". I explicitely installed all
>> > packages from http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/grub/0.97/74.fc15/data/logs/x86_64/root.log
>> > and have attached those in the packages.log file. The only thing
>> > that's missing is the glibc32 package but it conflicts with
>> > glibc-2.14-2.i686. As you can see from the attached build.log the
>> > error arises in the middle of the compilation. What am I missing?
>> >

>> Anyone any ideas?
>
> To compile grub on x86_64, which compiles as 32-bit, you need
> at least glibc.i686, glibc-devel.i686 and maybe also glibc-static.i686
> in addition to x86_64 packages.  grub seems to BuildRequires at least
> /usr/lib/crt1.o, so that should take care of requiring glibc-devel.i686.
>
>        Jakub
> --

I saw that I already had glibc.i686 and glibc-devel.i686 installed on
my system. The missing part was the glibc-static.i686. But as you can
see from the build log here
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=3170489&name=root.log
only the glibc-static.x86_64 was fetched and installed and there is no
mention of the i686 version. And the dependencies doesn't complain
about the missing glibc-static.i686 either. Maybe this should be
hard-coded as a dependency.

Now the package can be recomppiled.