gnu linux update question

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Tue Jul 5 21:11:34 UTC 2011

> On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 19:37 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 12:57:44 +0100, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
>>
>>> On 06/30/2011 01:31 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> 	[....]
>>
>>> $ rpm -q --changelog yum-utils | grep -C1 needs-restarting * Wed Nov 04
>>> 2009 Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> - add needs-restarting
>>>
>>> I noticed it had appeared in yum-utils some time in the last year or so
>>> - yum-utils is one of those packages that I infrequently do a rpm -ql
>>> yum-utils | grep bin for in case anything new has popped up - I think
>>> it's also been mentioned on the list a few times.
>>
>> 	Oh good: if it's in yum-utils I have it on all machines. So does
>> it run itself, like at least some of the other things in that package? Or
>> should I be invoking it on occasion?
>
> You run it yourself from a Shell. I don't know if any of the magic
> package UI stuff also does this, but I don't use any of that.

The desktop PackageKit stuff should handle this itself (I don't think it calls
out to the script - see the backends for the different update management tools.

I think pkcon will notify you of this from the command line if you use it to
install updates rather than running yum directly.

Regards,
Bryn.