spaceballs...

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Jul 5 21:14:37 UTC 2011

On 07/05/2011 02:01 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

> Is there a standard for how multi-axis trackballs (spaceballs)
> interact with X?  Are they common enough to "just work" now or is it
> the usual proprietary-hardware-nightmare still?

"They've gone.......plaid!  Prepare for ludicrous speed!" (sorry,
couldn't resist a Mel Brooks plug)

> The common trackball seems to have the ball, some scrollwheel
> replacement and a bunch of buttons.  It would be nice to be able to
> *rotate* the ball, or push it in various directions, etc.  But only if
> there's a sane mapping to X events.

I've never seen a standard mapping for them. They are pretty open to
interpretation so you may have a problem finding a consensus.

I'd bring up xevent or whatever and push/pull/poke/twist, take note
of what events it generates and do your own thing. Perhaps THAT would
become the standard. We have to start somewhere, your idea may be the
start of it.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting          ricks at nerd.com -
- grasshopotomaus: A creature that can leap to tremendous heights... -
-                                                ...once.            -