How to enable CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Jul 6 10:50:11 UTC 2011

Am 06.07.2011 12:45, schrieb Ed Greshko:
> On 07/06/2011 06:30 PM, John Aldrich wrote:
>> On Wed July 6 2011, Andras Simon wrote:
>>> I'm not sure I understand what you want to achieve, but
>>>   man system-setup-keyboard
>>> may help you.
>>>
>> What would one put in /etc/sysconfig/keyboard if one DID want to enable
>> CTL+ALT+BKSP to kill X?
>>
>> I looked at the man page for system-setup-keyboard, but it doesn't say
>> *anything* about re-enabling CTL+ALT+BKSP...
>>
>> I, for one, would find it convenient to re-enable that, as there are times
>> (such as an updated graphics driver) where it would be convenient to
>> restart X without having to completely change init levels or restart the
>> whole computer.
>
> I don't know what the incantation would be....
>
> However, a logout/login would suggest that is all that is needed to
> restart the X server.
>
> Logout and login and you will see a new  /usr/bin/Xorg has been
> started.  Also, note that you'll have a new /var/log/Xorg.0.log

yeah and sometimes X is buggy and hangs with consuming 100% CPU
while every mouse-click will be registrated many seconds later
and you are unable to logout properly

in this state CTRL+ALT+F2 does not work even

so if CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE would be active as all the years before
you could use this and 20-40 seconds later you get a login-screen
instead shutdown with ACPI-Power-Down