time and adhoc issue in fedora 15

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Wed Jul 6 18:01:40 UTC 2011

On 07/06/2011 07:40 AM, sandeep Patel wrote:

> Hi all,
>           I have many problem in fedora 15.
>           1) I have date and time issue in fedora 15. I searched it in
> google and I found some solutions but they did not work for me. I have
> installed windows 7 also in my system.
>               After correcting the time, whenever I reboot the system it
> shows incorrect time.
>               Please any one help me to get rid of this problem.

Hello, Patel.  This is a common issue, and I'm surprised that you didn't
find the answer through Googlemancy.  (Maybe you just picked the wrong
search criteria; it happens.)

What is going on here is that by default Linux stores the time in UTC
when it shuts down then corrects for the local time zone when it reads
it in from the hardware clock at boot.  Windows, however, always assumes
that the hardware clock is set to *local* time.  To keep both halves of
a dual-boot system happy, go into your time and date settings in Linux
and uncheck the box that says that the time is stored in UTC.  Linux
will then expect the hardware clock to be set to local time just as
Windows does.