How to enable CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Jul 6 17:13:04 UTC 2011

Am 06.07.2011 18:16, schrieb Bryn M. Reeves:
> On 07/06/2011 03:36 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> Am 06.07.2011 16:06, schrieb Reindl Harald:
>>> [root at rh:/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d]$ cat 02-dont-zap.conf
>>> Section "ServerFlags"
>>>         Option    "DontZap"    "false"
>>> EndSection
>>
>> this does all not work and it needs ubuntu-users for help
>> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-enabledisable-ctrlaltbackspace-in-ubuntu-9-10-karmic.html
>>
>>> This is due to the fact that “DontZap” is no longer an option in the X server and
>>> has become an option in XKB instead
>>
>> "/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/dont-zap.sh" needs chmod 755
>>
>> [root at rh:~]$ cat /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/dont-zap.sh
>> #!/bin/sh
>> setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
>
> This should already be set up by the default 00-system-setup-keyboard.conf. This
> is the case on my system:
>
> $ grep terminate /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-system-setup-keyboard.conf
> 	Option		"XkbOptions"	"terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,"

"should" is not enough and i posted this default-file
which has comments to not edit it and looks like yours

> If the file is missing or altered on your machine you may be better off
> restoring it than adding the xinit hack above.

it was never touched
it does not work out of the box

> Looking at the 01-local.conf you posted it appears you have changed XkbOptions
> on your system:
>
> Section "InputClass"
>  Identifier  "Keyboard"
>  Option      "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
> EndSection
>
> You may like to revert that or add terminate back into it..

i may not because this disables CAPS-LOCK

>> after that as user you can restart X as all the years before

he does not

> I wouldn't take a random ubuntu help site as canon. If this is the case then
> someone forgot to tell the fedora packages; it's still documented in the man
> page on f15 and still exists in the xorg-server sources:

but it does not work
so nice that something is in some manual but helps not

> It still sets the global xf86Info.dontZap variable and adding the option causes
> my X server to accept the zap keystroke. Removing it causes it to stop
> responding to ctrl-alt-backspace.
>
> I can't explain why you're seeing different behaviour on your system but I don't
> claim to be an X expert.
>
> If this has been removed from the X server in Ubuntu 9.10 that would appear to
> be an ubuntu-specific change.

anyways, the ubuntu trick does help, but it is not the same as all the years
before because this works only after gui login and not on the login-screen

so i guess if X hangs it will probably not work