Installing F15 without any active network?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 6 21:52:45 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 22:14 +0100, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 9:49 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> > I am glad to drop it but 2 people said they had done the
> installation
> > without having setup networking right after entering the host name.
> > Since you never got to the adding repo stage their setting up
> networking
> > at that point in the installation that seems irrelevant. You seem to
> > ignore their testimony and don't want their help so investigate
> away.
>
> Indeed there is little point in talking about setting up repos which
> were further down the line beyond where the problem occurred for me.
> The point in the install where the fail for me occurred was when
> clicking "next" when the bootloader setup screen was visible. The only
> options that had been set at that point were keyboard, language,
> timezone, and the disc partitioning if I remember right (and of course
> a root password) - there was a window that popped up asking to
> configure the network based on the existing NIC on that computer - but
> without any allowable DHCP options that would work it would seem the
> sensible thing at that point was to cancel the network setup - but the
> system then only allowed the option to exit the installer at that
> point - hence further progress was not possible.  I don't know if that
> was because the ethernet cable was attached to the NIC but the
> accessible DHCP server was setup not to allow it to serve an address
> to the MAC for the NIC - or if there was some other problem. Clearly
> Ed said that he was able to move past that point installing to a VM
> but that may not be the same as with an install to the real hardware
> with the same situation that I found.
OK, you finally told us what steps you went through before you had your
network problem.

Your description is strange since the request to set up a network occurs
on the same screen as the setting of the host name when I do an
installation. Another poster told you the same thing. At that point you
have not set the timezone. That is the next step. It happens before
partitioning, and before setting the place to put the bootloader.
So early in the installation you have made a mistake. What did you enter
as the hostname? Was it something like saturn or something like
saturn.gateway.2wire.net. The latter would be a mistake and probably
cause the problem you saw. You are giving an address on the network and
you have no network.
To believe your own thought, to believe that what is true for you in
your private heart is true for all men -- that is genius. -- Ralph Waldo
Emerson
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net