No Minimize Button

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 00:44:29 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 06 July 2011 23:41:25 Matias Kreder wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Mike Flannigan <mikeflan at att.net> wrote:
> > On 6/5/2011 1:52 AM, users-request at lists.fedoraproject.org wrote:
> > It was a design decision in Gnome 3 (aka Gnome Shell) that involves
> > some controversy. There are many many threads filled with lots of
> > debate about it. If you want to know more, mine the mailing list
> > archives. There are substitute methods to work with the desktop that
> > require some adaptation of your work-flow (dragging windows the the
> > edges of the screen, using overview mode with the hot corner,
> > abandoning a desktop background with stuff on it).
>
> How we can take this discussion further? No minimize button is not the
> only problem.

It's not a problem at all, it is a feature, didn't you know? ;-)

> * No desktop icons

This is a feature.

> * No right click on desktop to set wallpaper

This is a feature.

> * Suspend as default option.

This is a feature.

> * Alt+tab with grouped windows take a long time, if I have to switch
> between windows rapidly, I have to do alt+tab then down arrow, then
> right or left arrow.

Oh, and this is a particularly good feature! ;-)

> * And many others...

Well, as you can see, Gnome 3 is full of new features! Doesn't everybody enjoy
them so much, you just can't help loving such a feature-full DE, right? ;-)

> So many changes! I know that we should be positive and keep improving
> but my concern is that the average user needs this things and in order
> to enable them they need to install gconf-editor or other things that
> require some knowledge.
>
> I tried and tried, then I switched to KDE which I still don't like it.
> I know that I can try XFCE or LXDE but I'm a GNOME2 fan.

There will be no more Gnome 2. You have to switch to another DE, and relearn
it from scratch, including the appropriate adjustment of your usual workflow.
Your main choices for the new DE are: KDE, XFCE, LXDE and Gnome 3.

As I understand, switching from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3 is as painful as switching
from Gnome 2 to KDE or any other DE. The only thing that v3 has in common with
v2 is the name "Gnome" attached to it (roughly speaking), but in general it is
a completely different and new DE.

So Gnome 2 is gone, and you are essentially forced to switch. Choose your new
DE wisely... ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko

P.S. I'm a happy long-term KDE user, who installed Gnome 3 just to see what
all the fuss is about. And then I saw... My condolences to everyone who is
still using it. ;-)