No Minimize Button

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 16:17:27 UTC 2011

On 7 July 2011 12:51, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak <mjc at avtechpulse.com> wrote:
>>> But the long and short of it is, if you want the buttons (and more)
>>> back, just install gnome-tweak-tool and pick the right options to
>>> re-enable them.
>>>
>>> I've been using the list archives for almost
>>> all my troubleshooting.� I am very interested
>>> in seeing that discussion, but I have not
>>> been able to find it yet.� Still looking.
>>>  From my perspective I can't imagine anybody
>>> thinking that is a good idea.
>
> I originally thought omitting the minimize button was crazy, but after
> using gnome3 for a month or so, I don't miss it at all. gnome3 has a
> different way of doing things; give it time. If you can "swoosh" into
> the activities area to rapidly select a different window, having a
> minimize button doesn't really make sense (or at least, it is redundant
> - and gnome has always opted for simplification over extra flexibility).

My take on this is there's a finite amount of screen space and I quite
often have a set of windows open. If for some reason I need a large or
maximised one (and a large one is more problematic in this respect)
then it will obscure a 'shared space' layout of windows. To get that
open set of windows back you need to either:
1. Bring them all back one at a time (either activity window or
alt-tab them back)
or
2. Move the obscuring window to a new workspace. But this might not be
the correct place for it; you may be using it with the current
workspace, but not able to effectively share the space between this
and the other windows.

Also the other need for minimisation to prevent someone seeing what
you're working on is not at all addressed. Possiblities: work
involving confidential information, buying presents, demonstrating to
someone that you're giving them your attention/stopping windows
distracting people during conversaitons. While there's no longer a
panel that things get minimised to, the 'minimise' button is
effectively a hide-window operation that has several roles that aren't
really provided in Gnome3. Unless you put it back of course.

--
imalone