mail / mailx question

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at
Fri Jul 8 05:34:55 UTC 2011

I am running an F14 system which is pretty much out-of-the-box except I
have the machine hardcoded to to keep my network happy.

I see all sorts of uses of 'mail [...] root at localhost' which work great
when I look in /var/spool/mail/root. I have read the mail / mailx
documentation and tried sending mail to both root and my local account
and it works great. The man pages keep using examples like
"joe at", but when I try that with my email account
(name at, it fails (as in nothing happens and I sometimes get
resend errors). I can ping successfully.

I am certain this is a stupid pilot error, but can't figure it out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,