Paradigm shift going from Gnome2 to Gnome3

David Looney dlooney601 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 16:29:29 UTC 2011

On 06/22/2011 09:47 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 06/22/2011 05:16 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> to believe you can force users permanently switch their Desktop Environment
>> without lose them for the whole platform is very naive!
>
> I switched from Gnome to XFCE because I disliked almost everything I
> heard about Gnome 3 and lost nothing.  All of my old programs run Just
> Fine under XFCE.  Why do you expect otherwise?

Ditto.  Gnome3 was a bewildering non-starter on my old T43 and would not
fall back to anything resembling the Gnome2 environment.  XFCE to the
rescue.

BTW, I've been using linux as my primary desktop for over 10 years.
Gnome3 is ill suited to the work I have to do.  Can someone explain to
me the advantage of not being able to minimize an application ?  It's
not workable.

David Looney