mail / mailx question

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Jul 8 21:29:46 UTC 2011

On 7/8/2011 5:10 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> Does your ISP permit you to send mail directly via  port 25? Many do not
> these days - which means outgoing mail will need to be sent using your
> ISP's mail sending agent.
>
> I suggest before sending via command line tools - you use a GUI mail
> client such as thunderbird - and set up a mail account on thunderbird
> using the instructions from your ISP.
>
> If you can get that to work - then you can worry about using the command
> line mailx program and learn how to have it (or your local sendmail) use
> your ISP for outgoing mail.
>

> gene

Plan is to install Thunderbird to do all user mail, first trying to
understand clamav (prior postings)

I was just trying to see if there was a way to get the mail calls I see
in scripts which are the receiver of command output via a pipe to send
to both root at localhost to also send to my regular mail account (which,
at the present, is on WinXP via Thunderbird).  Mostly for debugging as I
don't want rc.local and cron.d to become my own spam engines to myself.
And partly cause I am just curious "why?"

As for the port 25 comment, does this mean I should look at how
Thunderbird is set up on my WinXP and see what the IMAP Server Settings
and Outgoing Server (SMTP) settings are? Trying to understand if this is
cs.cmu.edu settings or Verizon settings

Thanks,
Paul