mail / mailx question

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Jul 8 23:42:49 UTC 2011

On 07/09/2011 05:17 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> Does that provide the necessary info?,

Yes.  When folks ask for help with networking type issues and give out
IP addresses of xx.xx.xx.123 or domain names of whatever.edu it it
obscures the problem.  Now that you've revealed that you are talking
about a real world domain name should be easier to help.  FWIW, I see
other responses which should lead to a resolution.

One thing that I do is to telnet to the ports being used to make sure a
connection is being made.  If it is standard SMTP I'll do...

telnet MX-LB-01.SRV.cs.cmu.edu 25

or if SSL/TLS

telnet MX-LB-01.SRV.cs.cmu.edu 465

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow