mail / mailx question

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Sat Jul 9 01:11:29 UTC 2011

On 7/8/2011 4:42 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> FWIW, I see
> other responses which should lead to a resolution.
>
> One thing that I do is to telnet to the ports being used to make sure a
> connection is being made.  If it is standard SMTP I'll do...
>
> telnet MX-LB-01.SRV.cs.cmu.edu 25
>
> or if SSL/TLS
>
> telnet MX-LB-01.SRV.cs.cmu.edu 465

Sorry about the "whatever.com", I slipped into my default phrase for "a
generic site".

I tested telnet and I can get it working ... not on port 25.

Tried sending mail and it worked ... sort of. It came in as spam without
displaying the recipient (but the source of the email shows correct
sender and recipient).

Per the other response's suggestion, I am going to tag this onto my
query about mail/mailx to cs.cmu.edu.

Thanks for the help ... especially since I was able to make something
happen rather than become more confused,
Paul