systemctl shows 'errors'

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 10:43:36 UTC 2011

Alexander Volovics wrote:

> Investigating systemctl I came across the following:
>
> systemctl list-units --type=service --all |grep error
>
> dbus-org.bluez.service    error  inactive dead  dbus-org.bluez.service
> livesys-late.service      error  inactive dead  livesys-late.service
> openct.service            error  inactive dead  openct.service
>
> The number of services listed with LOAD = error is not constant.
> Sometimes I have seen more.
>
> Is this 'standard' behaviour or something that needs correcting?

Yes, this is okay. The '--all' switch makes a lot of units appear that you
need not be concerned about unless you're debugging a systemd unit
configuration file.

They are listed because another service configured them as an ordering
dependency, which means it wants to start before or after one of the above
services start, if it exists.  It does not actually require them to be
present.

Incidentally, 'error' means that systemd had a problem loading or parsing a
unit file.  'failed' indicates that it tried to start a service, but the
service itself has a problem.  So, for normal troubleshooting, this command
is probably more useful:

 $ systemctl list-units | grep failed

> Alexander

-T.C.